Barrington, IL is a suburb of Chicago located about 32 miles northwest of the Chicago “loop”. As of the 2010 census Barrington was home to 10,327.
The original settlers of the Barrington area were the indigenous peoples of the native American Prairie Potawatomi or Mascoutin tribes, which later divided into the Potawatomi, Chippewa, and Ottawa tribes. Many local roads still in use today, including Algonquin Road, Rand Road, Higgins Road, and St. Charles Road, were originally Native American trails. For many years, Barrington was considered part of the Northwest Territory, then the Illinois Territory.
Barrington’s history since its settlement parallels the development of railroad lines from the port facilities in Chicago. In 1854, the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad (now known as the Union Pacific/Northwest Line), extended the train line to the northwest corner of Cook County and built a station.
In 1854, Robert Campbell purchased a farm 2 miles northwest of the station and founded a community on the property. Deer Grove residents protested, and at Campbell’s request, the railroad later moved the station near its current location, which Campbell named Barrington after Barrington Center.
Barrington is known for the “Battle of Barrington” and its numerous parks and nature preserves. Top employers in the area include GE Healthcare, PepsiCo, and Pepper Construction.